Haven't used text-to-speech Chrome extensions yet? They convert written text into spoken words and are increasingly used worldwide.
They allow you to inform yourself and learn more easily and faster. Read on and find out what they are and the top 7 best ones for 2023.
Top 7 text-to-speech extensions
Text-to-speech extensions are beneficial technology because they make it easier for people with visual impairments, dyslexia and reading or learning difficulties to access written content.
These great tools convert text to speech so you can record and listen to the content conveniently. It is a resource used to increase performance in studies, learn languages or read more in less time.
Unlike applications that convert speech to text, in this case, the text generates the voice that users will hear.
They also benefit those who multitask and want to be informed and consume digital content. For all these reasons, here are the best Google text-to-speech extensions.
And if you have an iPhone, you can't miss the best text-to-speech apps for 2023.
Speechify is one of the most potent text-to-speech Chrome extensions, which is why it is the first of the top; it stands out for its prevalent mobile application for Android and iOS.
When using this Chrome text-to-speech extension, a widget appears on the screen, it allows you to read from the beginning of the page that is on screen, and you can enable the option to listen from anywhere on the web page, it can also read PDF files, Tweets or scanned texts.
- You can operate in 30 languages and with 130 different voices.
- You can record the web pages in the library and listen to them later.
- The AI-generated voices are obvious and make it easy to understand what is being said.
- Special functions are available for the visually impaired
It records a user rating of 4.5 out of 5 and has a size of 9.77 MiB. You can add Speechify to Chrome for free here.
2. Natural Reader
Natural Reader is another one of the best text-to-speech Chrome extensions that can be used for personal, commercial or educational purposes. It converts your documents, notes, ebooks, PDFs, and texts from text to natural voices in more than 20 different formats.
- It offers an immersive reading mode to avoid distractions and, for people with dyslexia, has unique fonts to facilitate reading.
- In addition to the complete text, you can read only a selected part; you can adjust the voice and reading speed and save them in files to be read on any occasion.
- It supports 20 different languages and has Web, iOS and Android applications.
Its users have given it a rating of 4.2 out of 5, the size is 1.31 MiB, and you can add Natural Reader to Chrome for free here.
3. Capti Voice
Capti Voice's main objective is to provide the best reading and writing tools to facilitate study and create a more inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of their abilities.
It stands out for its focus on conducting academic-type research and applying it to generate innovative and highly useful products for learning.
- Can read the text in 26 languages
- A versatile tool to improve reading skills
- Languages are provided with definitions and explanations of phrases
- Many functions to take notes and improve writing skills
Go to Capti Voice Chrome to download this extension. Its rating is 3.5 out of 5, and its size is 210 KB.
4. Readme - Text to Speech
Readme is a text-to-speech extension that uses advanced deep-learning techniques to read aloud and has a wide range of attractive and easy-to-use options and settings.
- Supports over 40 languages
- Lots of browser-compatible, natural-sounding voices
- Speech rate adjustment
- Image to audio capture (OCR)
- Text summarization of any web page
This tool is open source, you can install and try Readme from the Chrome Web Store. It is rated 4.3 out of 5, and its size is 1.78 MB.
Snap&Read supports most browsers on the market and can read text from images and scanned documents using OCR.
- Text-to-speech translation in more than 100 languages and readability adjustment.
- Optical Character Recognition technology separates letters from images, making it easier to find content.
- Allows you to change the spacing between words and the number of words per line.
You can explore and try Snap&Read, one of the best speech-to-text extensions. It registers a 2.8 out of 5 rating, and its size is 30.92 MB.
6. Read Aloud
One of the most popular text-to-speech Chrome extensions is Read Aloud; it has over 5,000,000 users worldwide and is specially designed for those who prefer listening to content rather than reading it.
- Supports up to 40 different languages
- Support for most websites and can read text in various formats
- It is possible to change the pitch, volume and reading speed
You can install Read Aloud and it will be especially useful for learning new languages, it has a rating of 4.3 out of 5 and has a size of 563 KB.
7. Talkie: text-to-speech
Talkie is a handy text-to-speech extension; it allows you to detect the language automatically and reads the document after selecting a voice.
- No word limit, and can run offline when downloading languages
- More languages and more voices can be downloaded, and Talkie will use them all the same
- Sound is produced and not recorded
You can download and try Talkie; it has a rating of 3.6 out of 5, and its size is 1.19 MiB.
We have presented you with the best text-to-speech Chrome extension tools with different features and benefits. You can access their spaces and read all their information to determine the most convenient location for your activities and projects.
Any of these tools can be used by professionals with little time to read content, students, teachers and people with different abilities; it will facilitate accessibility to websites, learning, reading ebooks and other texts.